Vegetation's main scientific objectives are:
- To supply accurate and reliable measurements of vegetation cover characteristics for a daily monitoring of the vegetation to meet the current needs in application (productions, environment, etc.) and research (global changes).
- To ensure a daily global monitoring thanks to a single receiving and processing centre.
- To offer a complementarity with the SPOT high resolution data by using identical spectral bands and simultaneous acquisition.
- To guarantee an operational service with product delivery in a 2 to 4-day notice after image acquisition.
Vegetation's main characteristics are:
- A nearly daily global cover
- thanks to the instrument wide field of view in combination with SPOT orbit (830 km altitude)
- at least one acquisition per day beyond 35° latitude
- 5 acquisitions every 6 days at equator
- Sun-synchronous orbit
- solar illumination variation minimization
- Acquisition time: 10h30 (UT)
- cloud cover minimization (mainly in tropical zone)
- Centralized reception and archiving
- easy access to data (unique catalogue)
- fast distribution of the products (2 to 3 days after acquisition)
- global cover products